Tuesday 26 August 2008

Sexuality Nazzi's

The term ‘Queer’ as mentioned before highlights a fluidity in both sexuality and gender identity. I choose not to be pigeon-holed into a specific role. Queer is anything outside heterosexual. Awareness of sexuality and gender diversity means not only tolerance but acceptance of EVERYBODY and not creating ridged roles (hetero sexual/homosexual, fem*le/male) which we demand people follow in order to be recognised and respected. Not queer enough:
Diversity-Awareness and Acceptance
"You're not a REAL queer, you just don’t even know what you are, you're just EXPERIMENTING, you are a TOURIST LESBIAN”
This is what I was told by a friend of mine who identifies as a lesbian recently.
I identify as a queer. I choose not to identify as a specific gender or really a specific sexuality, though for convenience sake I'd probably be referred to as bisexual and bi-gendered. My identifying with my assigned-birth gender (at times) and my sexual attraction to members of the opposite sex (as well as the same) does not make me any less queer.

Key to the Queer Liberation movement is the idea that we should be free to love who we choose, why should this exclude queers who choose to sleep with/ be in relationships with members of the opposite gender.
The fluidity of sexuality and gender identity are challenged when we prescribe to a heteronormative view of relationships. How can we as queer and queer allies confess to challenge this view of “normality” if we too define things by their opposites, in black and white: Homosexual and Heterosexual?

Gleaned from forums populated mostly by people aged 12-20, are some common misconceptions of bisexuality Compiled by queer activists; Jessica Rodgers and Zienobia Frost in “Freedom to love whom we choose” in Querelle08:
· Most label themselves as bi ‘just to be cool’ or ‘to attract the opposite sex”
· Bisexuality is a phase between identifying as straight and coming out as gay
· Bisexuals will leave a same-sex partner at the drop of a hat
· They are untrustworthy and are uncommitted to queer rights
· They ‘cant make up their minds’ and therefore lack direction in life and above all, they are promiscuous and greed
What does it really feel like to be in the grey zone? Also compiled by Jessica Rodgers and Zienobia Frost in “Freedom to love whom we choose” Querelle08:
“It feels like being bisexual means always feeling like an outsider. People make you feel like you are just pretending (pretending either not to be a lesbian or not to be straight), or that you’re just trying things. There are assumptions that being bisexual means not knowing what you want” –Alex
“I feel guilty saying it now, but I can remember, as a teen, taking on the view that had been drummed into me: bisexual people were less queer than gays and were therefore less cool”-Marian
“…The overall attitude: You’re either with us, or against us. Perhaps queer solidarity is working against itself; our insecurities as a community are getting the better of us…As long as I say I don’t say I might be with a guy at one point in my life I feel like I belong to the queer community”-Alex

Heterophobia also appears in the prejudice aimed at “suburban” gays and lesbians who formalise their relationships and raise children. These people have in the past been accused of modelling or even creating Heteronormativity -rather than being applauded for challenging these norms. These people along with bisexuals and asexual people are sometimes regarded as “less queer” On measuring queerness Dean Kiley states: “Evidentiary processes to establish hierarchies of queerness or authenticity of poofdom would be the literary equivalent of random DNA testing on potential Mardi Gras members” (Querelle08)

Heteronormativity wins when we begin ranking ‘queerness’! Being queer is whether or not by choice (in part) about transcending socially constructed boundaries on our sexuality and gender identity. As queers and queer allies we are called upon to keep an open mind, to be part of a campaign of sexuality and gender diversity awareness. We should not mimic the narrow-mindedness of the homophobes we rally against. There is no room for narrow-mindedness and moralising judgements whether it be on a persons sexuality or gender identity what ever that may be or their “promiscuity” How can we preach acceptance and tolerance if we are critical of people who have relationships with or sleep with multiple people, people who engage in relationships (sexual or otherwise) with members of the opposite sex, people desire to forgo sex or indeed queers who choose to formalise their relationships and/or bring up children.

It is a mistake to think that what we do with our genitals is integral to our identity!
Asexuals (and their allies) unfortunately are largely still be fighting in some circles to have asexuality recognised as a legitimate sexual orientation. To by knowledge there is no clearly identifiable and recognised symbol of asexuality other than the black ring. This is a symbol which has received minimal publicity and it's effectivness is limmited as many asexuals do not know of ith themselves and many non-asexual wear black rings totally unaware of it's significance to the asexual movement. AVEN (Asexuality Visibility Education Network) is a group which fight for the recognition of asexuality as an orientation.





20 comments:

N. F. Robinson said...

Once again, an informative and fascinating post; I didn't realize that asexuality had its own symbol, and the existence of AVEN shocked me a little. We hear about gay and lesbians fighting for their rights.. but asexual? It's new to me, is all.

And if your friend feels the need to say something like that to you, can she really be considered a friend? What gives her the right to judge - what makes her a better lesbian? Has she had hundreds of lesbian lovers? Is she a huge part of the lesbian political movement? Is she in a long committed relationship with a faithful lesbian partner?

Not that that necessarily makes a 'better lesbian' - I can't believe that such a thing exists - but what's the rationale for her thought? Why is she a sexuality Nazi?

You're never truly comfortable with your sexuality unless you can be comfortable with the sexuality of those around you.

Anonymous said...

My mate, who is asexual, only recently got understood by me as being a member of that sexual orientation.
Nowadays, as you know Kath, I remain calmly indifferent as to what sexualities people choose.

As for 'integrating' the queer community into 'normal' society, the only way to go about this is by liquidating queerphobia. As in many cases, social tension and unrest is often due to hate, ignorance and a general lack of braincells.

Kath said...

Nat:
I don’t judge you personally for not thinking about asexuals and their struggles, we don’t know about these things because we are conditioned by society NOT to.
As for my “friend”: She like the rest of society has been conditioned to define things by their opposites; black/white, heterosexual/homosexual, man/woman. I don’t fit into her neat categories. Sadly despite her general lack of action within the queer political circle she holds fast to strict identity politics and as a result perpetrates queerphobia herself.

Rueben:
Sexuality is not entirely a choice Reuben. Yes you and Nat are good queer allies and we love you for that!
"As for 'integrating' the queer community into 'normal' society, the only way to go about this is by liquidating queerphobia." Liquidate! ohh I LOVE it! I think however it's on the "banned words list" as far as the commander is concerned regarding school posters.
You are of course correct in that it's not about queers becoming less queer but queerphobs being re-educated.
Sadly, the queer political community (including queer allies) must be cautious not to display transphobia, Biphobia, polyamory-phobia, asexual-phobia etc…

Anonymous said...

There's no such thing as an over-investment in education.

Kath said...

Agreed Reuben, her's one of my favourite protest chants...
"bullshit come off it our education is not for profit!!!"

Unknown said...

Reuben, was your asexual friend you referred to, me by any chance?

Nicolai P. Stecher

Anonymous said...

Hey Kath, considering today's developments, do you think it would be illegal to talk about emulsifying the Commander? I don't actually know what "emulsify" means (something to do with dumping photo paper in a bucket of goo?), but it sounds like the kind of thing we should consider doing.

Anonymous said...

Yes, unless there's another Nicolai Stecher residing in Elwood - but given the statistical correlations, I would think that's extremely unlikely.

Anonymous said...

Good stuff Aviva. I would also recommend we differentiate her. That is mathematical speak for: cutting her down to size (literally).

Unknown said...

Remember how closed minded you used to be, back in the old days, Reuben? Those were some crazy times.

Kath said...

rvb/ Aviva:
Some one suggested putting rotten
fruit in her office today… I liked
that :)
hmmm...I don’t think it would be right for me to entertain the various fantasies I'm sure we all have about killing/ seriously injuring/ harming the commander. Trust me...I have some good ones, and mine are significantly more bloody...

nico /rvb:
It is a sad fact that ignorance runs so high in the community, that is part of the reason I have this blog, though I'm sure it makes only a very small dent given its limited audience. Even left wing progressive people have queerphobic beliefs and ideas. Many people don’t even recognise queerphobia where they see it.

Anonymous said...

Agreed, Nicolai.

And yes Kath - queerphobia is often expressed in accident. It might please you to know that you have opened my eyes considerably.

Kath said...

It does indeed please me to know that I have opened your eyes :D It has to be said though that you're eyes were not clamped shut, unlike others

Anonymous said...

Well...I'm allergic to clamps you see. They do nasty things to my gonads.

Kath said...

ouch, makes me think of the the bulls and horses they use for those horrible rodio competitions.

Unknown said...

Why are you always bringing your gonads into things?

Anonymous said...

They bring themselves in! Oh yes, that's my gonads - the little generals I call them...and some the toys they used to bring back. A different one every week....

Who was the one with the nail varnish?

- said...

great post Kath.

I know a lot of people who consider bisexuality to be a phase, and i used to hear bullshit like that all the time when I used to consider myself bisexual. For me, I guess it was a 'phase', but i know that for many other people, it isn't.

i mean, how can those certain people in the queer community expect heterosexuals to be open minded, when they have difficulties accepting that someone can be attracted to both sexes?

as for asexuals, it is true that they are largely ignored, and I am glad to hear that there is a group to spread awareness about their sexuality.

Kath said...

Thanks Carma :)
sexuality is fluid, people may experiment with/ identify as many different sexul orientations and or gender identitys throughout their lives.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for quoting our article. Glad it was useful. :)