Sunday 31 August 2008

Inside my skin

This poem was taken from "writing themeselves in again: 6 years on The 2nd national report on the sexuality, health & well-being of same sex attracted young people in Australia"

AMBER, 18 years
Inside my skin;
I saw that inside me was outside of them;
And I feared that I would never be able to speak;
What was on the tip of my tounge waiting to fall out;
It's inside me that knows where I am and who I am;
Yet outside I can't make sense. Because sense betrays me;
I look at them opposites of each other, complimenting one anothers contours;
And I see us like a mirror one and the same;
Curves and soft skin;
Touching curves and soft skin;
You're waiting to come in;
But I can't let you in, Inside me.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't particularly like that poem, I'm afraid Kath. It doesn't resonate with much meaning for me.

Kath said...

No meaning?
you're kidding?
Read it again!
This person is bareing their sole in this poem.
It's about being different, feeling confused, affraid to be honest with yourself and others about who and what you are, it's about one persons internal struggle to understand their sexuality and/or quite possibly their gender.
Perhaps you ahve to have struggeled and questioned with your sexulaity and or gender identity to understand it..I implore you to read it again with the themes i mentioned in mind

Anonymous said...

The word usage is stunning, Kath, but I don't like the overall organisation. And the theme, to me at least, seems nebulous.

Kath said...

pffft...no taste

Anonymous said...

My tongue was bitten by an Anteater today. What can you seriously expect?

- said...

i can't believe rvb.

Anonymous said...

That's obscene, Carma. I've extremely believable. I just so happen to be a poem-pedant.

Kath said...

anteater or echidna? they have funny tounges hehe

N. F. Robinson said...

Bearing your soul doesn't exactly make good poetry. It helps, sure, but it doesn't instantly make it great.

Not that I'm disagreeing; I liked the poem fine, but some people think I'm poem-deaf /pun

Kath said...

well I think the poem is AMAZING! and i can certainly relate tot he sentiment in it

Anonymous said...

I have a funny tongue, Kath. But I won't let you - or Carma for that matter - use it.

Kath said...

What? I dont like where this is going...we dont want your "funny tounge" although speaking of funny tounges...I'll bring some clove oil to school tomorow....

Anonymous said...

I'll bring some clove oil to school tomorrow....

That would explain why I walked into two poles (one from Poland, and another from the local council street-lighting division).