Monday 22 September 2008

Chapter Three

And so the Story of jessica concludes....

III


Her name was Catherine. She was even more attractive close up. Both she and Cameron were in the cafĂ©, serving customers their greasy food and watered-down drinks. She was very pleasant to him, remembering his name and reminding him strongly of when he first met Natalie…
He couldn’t possibly be gay. He was very much into females. Cameron wasn’t quite lusting over Catherine, but it was safe to say he was infatuated. He loved talking to her, and listened intently to everything she’d say…
Strike!
Sometimes Jess came out, even though he was wearing pants and a polo shirt. This puzzled him a bit, as he couldn’t feel that he good bring his other half into conversation without those things. He was happy, though, as whenever Jess said a joke, Catherine – or Kat, as he came to call her – would laugh prettily.
He almost felt content. He would enjoy work, he was sure of it. And maybe he’d start dating Kat… but first they’d just be friends. Close friends, and then… and then…
Strike!

So, this is my friend Twilight. She’s... a cross-dresser, too, I guess. I thought you might like to talk. Twilight, this is Cam; the guy I spoke to you about?
Howdy!
Hi, how are you?
Good, actually. Able’s been speaking a lot about you. I assume you’ve realized that I’m transgendered, too?
Ohhhh… you mean, like a cross-dresser, right?
Uh. Not quite…
Aheheh… Cam, sweetie, Twilight doesn’t really like being called a cross-dresser. I’ve… well, I’ve been told that cross-dressing’s … a derogatory term, to some people? Like, it refers to someone who only dresses up for the thrill of it?
Yeah. But, uh, don’t worry, Cam…
Oh... Um, sorry. That is… I mean, I didn’t realize it meant…
Like I said, man, no worries. For all I know… you are a cross-dresser?
Well… I don’t really… I mean, I’m not really turned on by it, no.
Ah…?
It’s like she’s another person. But… she’s does things better than Cam. Know what I mean, Twi? You must.
Ohhhhhhh.
Yeah. It is a bit like that. She’s… right. She’s what I should be all the time. The best part of me.
Are you sure it’s just that?
Eh?
Huh?
Are you sure she’s just a part of you? Wouldn’t you like to be her all the time?
Strike!
“Sweet! Time to start closing!” Kat had an expression of pure relief as she started cleaning up. Cam couldn’t help but smile.
“We both clock off now?” Cam was unsure.
“Yep!” She grinned like a madman. “I can go home and watch all of Gantz…”
“Gantz?” It took Cam a few moments to register. “Oh, you’re an anime fan?”
“Yeah. You too?”
“Aheheh, yeah, I guess I am…”
Strike!
“What sort of stuff do you like?” The two of them said it in unison, and Kat giggled.
“Ohh… lots of things. Most of it, really. Not Naruto though…”
The two of them laughed about Naruto, its legion of fans, and just things in general. Cam was happy; they had something else in common! He didn’t need a reason to be friends, now; they could go anime shopping and visit all the conventions together…
Strike!
“What about Bleach? You like Bleach, Cam?”
“Well… I’m more of a Yu Yu Hakusho fan myself…”
Strike!
“And Evangelion? Usually I don’t like mecha, but… wow…”
Strike!
And it clicked. That’s what he loved most about Jessica. As the sounds of people cheering mixed with the crashes of bowling, he had an epiphany. He loved Jess because she was striking. Where Cam was boring, awkward, and mundane, Jessica was funny, offbeat and amusing. She made a lasting impression. That was what he wanted. To be remembered, to leave people flabbergasted at her – no, his – skill, or talent, or beauty…
He wanted to throw them to their feet with Jessica’s beauty. He wanted to topple them as many would topple all the pins in a strike, to leave them open with his piercing ability. He wanted to be noticed.
She wanted to be noticed. Jessica Strike wanted to stand out as bright as a flare at night, and she would do it smiling.
Cameron was unsure, now. Was this Jess talking, or him? Did Twilight… was Twilight right? Was it all just Jessica?
They packed up the store, and even through his confusion Cameron Flint was for once happy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

In spite of the exiguous atmosphere, I can confirm the conclusion is excellent.

N. F. Robinson said...

I was upset that it didn't have a proper ending.

What kind of hack would write something like this and not give it a proper ending?


(Hahahah)

Ruby Bell said...

Only a foolish writer lacking the skill you possess, Nat

Anonymous said...

Ms Haack, from NHS, Nat.

Kath said...

The writer of this story is not a hack! What a horrible thing to say about a fellow queer or ally! I'd like you to take that back Nathaniel.

There’s nothing wrong with the ending a good writer always has to leave you hanging just a little.

I wanted to know more about Jessica/ Cameron experience but that shows how GOOD it is, that I was so drawn into the story and was able to empathise with Cameron!

Anonymous said...

I've got nothing against hanging (unless it's sanctioned under law), but the lack of atmosphere really spoilt it for me.