Friday 26 September 2008

Conversions

Bisexual day was Tuesday, this week. How did everybody celebrate? I danced in the rain in Saint Kilda to Michael buble with my G.F-Yes, yes we are perfectly aware of how lame and disgracefully cutesie we are!


(We took it for granted that in Saint Kilda we did not have to even check for rainbow stickers on doors..we were wrong! I advise against the 'Falafel Kitchen' in Saint Kilda, the falafel isn't that good and the man who works there appears to have a distaste for lesbians and pigeons-the pigeon was not with us)

I also encouraged many heterosexuals to use the day as an excuse to experiment. Out of ten, three did! :) One of the wom*n who experimented latter reported to me "OMG! I'm never going back! [to men]" Now I don't believe that you can "convert" or "recruit" someone to a sexuality. Her mates have accused me of "turning" her. It's simply not possible.

She herself reflects that she had "...always sorta been interested" and had at various stages in her life "questioned" She says she now has a lot more questioning to do!
Some people claim to "just know" and maybe that's true, but I think part of being queer means questioning. Maybe not for everyone, but for many of us I believe there is a period of confusion as we struggle to come to terms with our identity, and our sexuality and gender identity, and what impact that has on our identity.

Generally (well as far as I know) Heterosexuals do not have to question, their heterosexuality, It's just taken for granted. A friend of mine once said "well if you have to even think about it, you must be [queer] because people like 'us' (referring to himself and his gf) don't even have to think about it!" This may not be true, I know people who identify as heterosexuals who at some stage in their life had questioned their sexuality. This may have more to do with the fact the Both sexuality and gender identity are fluid-changeable!

Jess was recently berated by a teacher for using the phrase "transcending society's norms" The teacher argued that Queers "differ" , they don't transcend. Between us we thought of a number of reasons why the term "transcend" is used within the political-queer community. On reflection of the process of questioning that many queers have to go through, I feel that transcend is defiantly the correct term. While sexuality and gender identity are not necessarily choices queers do have to contemplate and consider their sexuality and hopefully come to terms with it and embrace it.

The need for reflection comes as a result of the fact that we are a minority and everywhere we look there are messages telling us that it's wrong, that relationships are between a man and a woman, conforming to the assigned-at-birth-sex gender roles. On embracing this identity after a process of deep reflection, queers have indeed TRANSCENDED societies norm. They did not choose to be queer but the actively worked to understand and better accept who they are in a way that most heterosexuals do not. That said heterosexuals may have their own identity crisis, but these are of a different nature.

so TRANSCEND away my pretties.....

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I advise against the 'Falafel Kitchen' in Saint Kilda, the falafel isn't that good and the man who works there appears to have a distaste for lesbians...

I avoid all forms of chain foods - except Subway. This is because they don't like tall people.

I also encouraged many heterosexuals to use the day as an excuse to experiment.

No thank you. Firstly, when it comes to seduction, I flounder like a dead bee. And secondly, I frankly don't want to be intimate with men.

Jess was recently berated by a teacher for using the phrase "transcending society's norms" The teacher argued that Queers "differ" , they don't transcend.

The pedantic police are awake an active it would seem.

Kath, thanks for restricting the length of this post. It's much more readable.

Anonymous said...

It's "Buble". And "transcend" is a good word made even better by good use.

Jess said...

We are not disgraceful!!!! But we are cutesie!! :D:D:D

you forgot to mention the part that i pretended to be a boy (so that you could properally celebrate bi-sexual day!) tut-tut details!!! :P

Jess said...

hahah i worked out how to leave comments without having to make a new account everytime!!!!

score for Jess!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Jess, thanks for that timely reminder that KATH NEEDS TO ADJUST HER COMMENTS SECTIONS!!!!

Kath said...

rvb:
hmm yes Franchise stores are bad, they tend to treat there workers like crap and could be argued to represent the epitome of evil under capitalism
To be honest much of my encouragement was actually a joke, apart from the person mentioned in my blog who had on previous occasions disclosed her confusion to me.
I did exactly what I always do; wrote as much as I felt was necessary.

V:
Really buble? like blowing a buble? Transcend is a good word though I think many of us doing philosophy may be guilty of over-using the word just a tad.

Jess:
Yes, yes you were a boy for half a second as you flashed Saint Kilda your boxers-Those the details you wanted everyone to read? Perhaps you wanted them to know more about what we did latter...I thought some details were less necessary :P

Yes Yes I'll get to it rvb

Jess said...

my boxer shorts are awseom! the ones i was wearing on tuesday were red and had homer simpson on it, they read "feeling stupid, i know i am!" hehe! they are also very comfortable and a sure way to prevent embarasement during days of high wind!

some details may not be appropriate for such places as this. But my boxer shorts are schweet! :) (although i reakon my teddybear ones are better!)

nah it's cool kath, guys just put ur email in the box that says USERNAME and it's all good! (i actually sat there putting in my username! How stupid am i!) JOKES *mwa* rose don't kill me!

gotta love being Jewish! I start a new year tonight! :) Which means, lots of praying, lots of good food, lots of noise (we listen to an instrument called the shofar being blown 100 times, it is made out of a rams horn, and simplistically symbolises g-d saving issac on the mountain!) as well as all the little kids running around synagog (Jewish prayer house so to speak), lots of rest, lots of reading (no technology to be used on these days!), lots of extended family intergiation(mainly about yr 12 etc etc)but most importantly lots of good food!

I win for the longest, coolest comment!!! WOOHOO!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

it is made out of a rams horn
I didn't knew they honked.

Kath said...

Jess:
I cant beleive you described you boxes! LOL good on you
I like food :)
100 times? are you fucking serious? ouch! I had someone play harmonica on the train today-that hurt!
Glad that you flinched and asked not to be killed it means I have instilled fear in you as I have done everyone else :)

Anonymous said...

You have yet to scare me. Good luck! The only thing that scares me more than scorpions are scorpions with Ug Boots.

Kath said...

LOL
lier lier pants on fire :P

Anonymous said...

I can't think of anything witty to say to that.

Fuck.

Jess said...

not fear as such... more i would never want to purposefully hurt your feelings in anyway shape or form, including undermining you integrity and ability to run a blogging website!

Jess said...

oh the shofar blowing doesn't hurt, it's actually quite impressive!

It takes a lot to blow a shofar, because they don't have reeds (like clarinets and oboes do!)

Also the shofar is more of a wailing kind of a sound, it's very emotional in that sense...

ALSO the synagog is very big, so the sound resonates throughtout the whole shule, it's actually not that loud on the ears (whether upstairs or downstairs)

Anonymous said...

The emotion derived from the sounds of a horn being blown sounds very alarming. I would hope to think I would never be effected by any sound - or mind control.

Jess said...

reuben i was going to start an argument but i realised with 4 weeks till the english exam you're just not worth my time and effort!

Believe and feel what you like, it's a free country!

Kath said...

I'm confused? How were my feeligns meant to be hurt? I thought the "dont kill me comment" was in relation to you calling yourself stupid...because for that I would hit you :
shofur sounds cool
Reuben, Jess kiss and make up BEFORE the arguemnt...then dont allow the arguemnt to happen xoxox Love you both

Jess said...

kath said ur message (to reuben DUH) was probably a joke...

if so reuben i suggest you learn the number ONE rule of comedy:
1. TIMEING!

Because to be fair if you knew anything about the Jewish faith, you would know you've got your timeing all wrong! As we (the jews) are currently in the holiest days of the year.

my suggestion is learn about religion and then critise, ok? (I think thats a fair deal! Once you have learnt about religions, including my own i will be happy to listen to an educated opinion)

Anonymous said...

Yes, I've learned not to invest in such debates, not with Kath within earshot anyway. I'm no expert in dogmatism, besides. However, I do know enough to criticise and it's frankly arrogant of you to profess to know more about 'religion' than I do. It's a bit like a victim of a motorbike accident telling the doctor he knows more about blood-force trauma because he's experienced it.

That's my two bob's worth. Hope I haven't pissed anyone off too much.

Anonymous said...

Oh did I mention that some of my family relatives are Jewish? Sorry, just thought I should correct you there.