Thursday 11 September 2008

How DARE you assume I'm heterosexual?!

So I apologise for the long time between posts I've been very busy lately with year 12, my school queer group which is well and truly on it's legs now despite some administrative opposition as well as beginning a new relationship (too busy being queer to post on a queer space :-p)

"How DARE you assume I'm Heterosexual" read my girl friends badge (sadly placed out of sight)

On first reading it, I laughed but then it really did make me think. It is generally assumed that you are heterosexual.

People make assumptions about other peoples sexuality all the time, even unconsciously.

Many of my friends are male and when other friends see me with them I am frequently asked if they are my boyfriend. I don't know what's more insulting; people assuming that I'm heterosexual or people assuming that I must be having a relationship with any man I am seen with.

Walking to a friends birthday with one of my male friends, holding a bunch of flowers, a gift for the birthday person I was seen by a wom*n I used to go to school with. Later that week she spoke to me online and asked me how long I'd been with my boyfriend. In sharp contrast I walked into a pathologist holding a white rose in one hand and my girlfriends hand in the other. We were asked if we were SISTERS! In both situations an assumption was made about my sexuality.

It got me thinking about the differences between going out with a man and going out with a woma*n

In my relationships with men I've never thought twice about walking down the street holding hands, or kissing or just generally being affectionate in public. I mean obviously there are times and places where that is inappropriate but generally it never relay fazed me other than that being with men i was always less likely to actually want to be affectionate.

My relationships with wom*n have in the past been secretive and hidden. I have recently begun a relationships which is more open. When My partner and I went on a date at a time when she knew she was unlikely to see or more importantly be seen by people who may be likely to report back to her parents (parents are in my experience with queer students, including myself the last to know) we were openly affectionate. holding hands, walking arm in arm down the street, kissing on the beach. This was a big thing for me. Everywhere we went people stared at us. They may not necessarily have all been homophobic, but we were a novelty among them. I worked hard to block out the stupid comments I heard when people passed us. 'Are they both girls?' It was uncomfortable I couldn't help but wonder what each person was thinking wen they looked at us. Were they themselves closeted queers, impressed by our openness. Were we a novelty to them which they couldn't help but stare at. Did they look at us and condemn us. One Senior citizen shook their head at me when I smiled. Did they look at us and automatically think of our sexual relationship. I know that on coming out to friends one of the first things I was asked were questions related to intimate experiences with women. People frequently associate queers with sex. I suppose this is no surprise given that we tend to define people by their differences in order to categorise them, in the case of queer people this means defining us by our sexuality and gender identity (though all people are categorised by the gender they are perceived to have by others).
All in all, despite the looks and the comments it was a great day! As I got on the train to go back home I had that warm silly feeling. :-)

Yesterday however was different, she knew that it was highly likely that she would be seen by somebody. I instinctively took her hand when I got off the train to see her. Though it's not her fault and I understand completely I couldn't help but be hurt as we walked out of the train station and she let go of my hand. We did have an enjoyable day, we had felafel, walked around, spent some time lying around in the sun in the park, met one of her friends and did manage to sneak some moment of affection. However the incident at the train station set the pattern for the rest of the day, we would be holding hands then she would drop my hand or when I went to hold hers she'd indicate that we couldn't do it here. We deliberately took back streets, avoiding the main roads so that we could hold hands.

I don't want this to sound like a criticism of her because it's not, it's a criticism of society. After informing the pathologist that we were in fact not sisters we looked at each other uneasily before clarifying that we were "just friends" Though I have excitedly told many of my friends about my relationship, and Jess is far from secret, when I was asked who I was bringing to my school formal by a classmate, I replied with "Jess, she's a friend" As soon as I'd said it I was kicking myself. I'm far from in the closet at school and yet my automatic reaction to a question about my relationship was to hide it.

I am beginning to better understand the concept of "PRIDE" as in queer pride. I used to think, 'sexuality is not an achievement, why should there be pride'. Yet a sense of pride must be fought for, proud to be who you are, proud to transcend societies norms, proud not to deny your identity and when you are ready proud not to feel the need to hide.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was really heartfelt, Kath, I enjoyed reading it and I think it's extremely important and topical. I'm really happy that you're with someone you feel happy with, and just plain angry that you can't be that way unconsciously. That's what our group and so many others are working for. I really hope we get there one day.

N. F. Robinson said...

I'm glad to hear your day didn't go too badly. I dunno, I feel awkward showing any public display of affection in public.. but I understand where you're coming from. People really do assume you're heterosexual. I know I assume everyone I meet is heterosexual - with a few exceptions - without confirmation.

v: So do I. I really hope that some of the younger students will take up the main body of our group, and it gets even stronger next year. I can't help but think Ms Davidson's riding on the fact that it won't, though

Jess said...

Rose you are truly amazing you know that!

I know it's hard to have people stare, and it can make you angry, but think about it this way, we will most likely never ever see any of those people again! and wouldn't you be more angry if you'd suppressed your desires because of their comments?

Who cares what a few random Joe Bloes on the street think! My feelings for you won't change because some random senior turned up her nose at us, if anything your resilience and strength is something which makes me just admire you more! (Even though i thought that wasn't possible!)

Sure its annoying that we have to take side-streets and alleyways, which brings back archaic images of underground queer meetings and secret signs,and you may wonder whether we have made much progress at all, but at least we still have the freedom to do that!

Sure it's not perfect, and sure i hate the fact that i'm scared to properly introduce you to my family and that i can't scream out my feelings at the top of my voice, but i am still thankful for what we have, because despite not being "ideal" it is definatly incredible!

They say that when we ask for strength g-d give's us obsticals not muscles, because although muscles fade the lesson's we learn during the trials of our life remain engraved in us forever. Kath this is just one of the many obsticals that we will face in life.

While it is important to fight for the right to live our lives out in the open, it is more important to fight for happiness, to continue to feel, to continue to learn, to continue to grow and to LIVE.

xxxx
Love Jess

Anonymous said...

Very insightful, Kath...but I would personally care more about the falafel than what other people think of my open affection. Who cares? Just because some people have a traffic pole lodged firmly up their ****, it doesn't give them the right to imbue the rest of society with their intolerance and disdain.

Now, about that falafel: you've got me hungry again dammit!

Of course, I must also clarify that because sexuality is innate, it should not be criticised by anyone with tuppence worth of brains. On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with expressing dismay at someone else's taste in Yoghurt, hairstyle, religion, political views or Chess moves.

Unknown said...

Damn, I hate society! I pride myself in not making assumptions about people's sexuality. However, I still make the assumption that most people may try to steal my hat (You can never be too careful).

Also, I had the best falafel ever, yesterday.


Nicolai P. Stecher

Kath said...

V:
Thank you I'm glad you enjoyed it. Yes it certainly was heart felt, I hope it didn’t come across as too self indulgent, it was meant to be a social commentary. I believe we can get there, I just have my doubts as to how successfully we can eliminate oppression under capitalism.

Nat:
Not only did the day not go too badly, it was a great day! Despite a few assholes.

Jess:
Amazing! don’t go setting bench marks that I cant reach now.

Yes Jess I'd rather have the affection than not even if it is hidden, and I do not deny that the queer movement has achieved many gains, but I'm not going to get down on my knees and that God for everything we've got. Simply because we haven’t been GIVEN anything all queer rights we do have been hard one and we need to protect those rights and continue to fight for more.

I don’t care about what radomes on the street thought of us as such, but I can say I enjoyed the way people looked at me and certainly I wouldn’t consider hiding it to appease them! I just think it is sad that elements of society remain so intolerant.

"While it is important to fight for the right to live our lives out in the open, it is more important to fight for happiness, to continue to feel, to continue to learn, to continue to grow and to LIVE."

-Beautiful sentiments my dear, but I'd have to say I disagree. It's not just a fight to be a fight to live our lives in the open but for legislative equality, to cease to be the butt of insensitive jokes, to have queer issues in the education and so much more to combat queer and wom*ns oppression.
xoxo
Love Rose

rvb:
Ohh Reuben I have to tell you I enjoyed the falafel more than i diss-enjoyed the reactions of people around us!...sooooo goood

Criticising ones sexuality or gender identity is not useful apart from anything else. you cant berate someone into becoming heterosexual.

Nico:
Yes society can be a basted @ times, we just need to re-educate people.

Hold on to your hat!

No, no unless you went to Sabra in Carlise st you did not have the best falafel! :P

Anonymous said...

I used to, if I in a general conversation got to the question, ask "Do you have any girl- or boyfriend?" to people so that no outcome would be favoured over the other. However; the only people that seemed to be cool with this type of question were bisexuals; homo- along with heterosexuals actually got offended by it! I found this quite confusing for a while and then changed the wording to asking if they were going out with someone. Neutrality is good I guess, so that no assumptions can be made.

A part from the chance to mention my anecdote; this post puts words to a pressing issue. Great job with the blogging, and I look forward to meeting your girlfriend on the formal! :)

Anonymous said...

Damn you all! I want Falafel!

As someone who is very shy, awkward and unsexy to prospective girls (I'm heterosexual by the way), I find it slightly embarrassing when people ask if I have a girlfriend.

Kath said...

ahh well I certainly wasnt offended by such questioning, but I suppose that realy just supports your point. Yes neutrality is generally favourable involving anything relatedn sexuality and gender identity.
Glad to ehar it Vick, I know she's looking forward to meeting all of you.

Ruby Bell said...

It's like if you wanted to tell a friend that you were seeing somebody of the same gender and you didn't know how they would react
This has never happened but I'm guessing it would be very awkward

N. F. Robinson said...

I generally feel uncomfortable doing lovey-dovey things in public with my girlfriend. Maybe it's just a society-frowning-on-all-contact thing, or maybe I'm just a little crazy.

- said...

great post.
yesterday I wrote a song about exactly this.
Spooky how I hadn't yet read this post when I wrote it.
I absolutely hate it when people ask me if I have a boyfriend. I usually add "or a girlfriend" to the end of their question.

I have no problem with people staring at me, or my (currently non-existent) girlfriend. I get stares anyway, because of my 80's knits and metallic leggings.

People staring at me makes me feel important. : p ..and it is good practice for when I am famous. lolz.