Wednesday 17 September 2008

Jessica

This is a story about a transgendered young person written by a friend of mine who for now has chosen to be anonymous

The story will come out over 3 posts

Chapter 1

It seemed kind of shallow, but the first thing Cameron Flint noticed about the girl was just how
pretty she was. There was the original feeling of teenage lust, but it was not a purely sexual desire. He wanted to talk to her. Cameron wanted to shop with her, to learn her name, and to care about her. It would be nice even if they were just to be friends.
Long, dark hair coupled with hazel eyes and a generally pleasant figure didn’t make her incredibly attractive, however. Her face was round, and kind of plain. She was by no means obese, but wasn’t quite the girl Cameron’s mates would usually aim for. Her nose was a bit long; Cam idly wondered if she was Jewish…
“Uh, how can I help…?” The guy looked no older than Cameron’s age, but was taller and skinnier. His nametag read DREW. Drew had roughly neatened hair, and wore glasses. He seemed vaguely out of place – not quite the kind of person to be working at a busy bowling alley. Cameron had waited until the place had become less busy before he decided to approach the counter, however. He didn’t really feel comfortable talking around crowds, especially about these kinds of things. Even though a help wanted sign had been tacked onto the board, Cam couldn’t help feeling as if he was freeloading; asking for something that wasn’t his.
“Yeah… I was kind of wondering if I could drop in an application,” Cam tried his best to look Drew in the eyes, and to try and seem confident. “I mean a résumé.”
Drew’s beetle-like eyes blinked a few times behind the thick glasses. Cameron started to worry; what if there was some mistake? Or the job was filled? Or if he messed up the résumé?
A startling thought wormed its way slowly into Cameron’s head. Jessica wouldn’t have these kinds of problems, would she? She was always loud, and confident to the point of cockiness – she got what she wanted, when she wanted it, and nothing could ever really stop her.
“Sure,” Drew started slowly. “Let me just go fetch Janet – I mean the manager, okay?” Drew wandered off, but Cam barely noticed, so entrapped in his own thoughts. It should be easy to just let Jess out for a bit, right? He needn’t even dress up for it (and even the very words “dress up” seemed inadequate for what it was). Jessica was a part of Cameron, at least – at least a solid third of his personality. Just let her loose a bit, and see what happens…
It was a tantalizing thought, but before Cam could even fully consider it he was hit with the familiar waves. Shame, humiliation, regret, and disgust. Bile rose in his throat at the thought. Filthy bastards. God hates faggots, son, and you’d bloody well not become a faggot on me. You’re not to be gay, or some filthy shemale – you’ll be no devil-worshipper, not with how I bloody brought you up.
Dad. That was Dad speaking, not Cameron, he told himself. Not mum, either. Oh, darling, but you must know that homosexuality is a sin. Your father’s right, you know; faggots go to hell. But you’re not dirty are you, Cam, sweetie? No… not our little boy…
Ahh… that was Mum…
Cameron broke the chain of thought. He liked to visualize a chalk board, with all the insecure thoughts on the black face. Then he imagined scratching them off – it somehow made him feel better. Much calmer.
He looked around for the slightly pretty girl. He couldn’t see her. What was her job? Was she full time? Who was she, what were her friends like; would she go out with him? No, of course she wouldn’t. Not with him.
Cam shook his head. The lady was staring at him patiently. “Are you all right, mate?”
This must be Janet. She had platinum spiked hair which contrasted nicely with her conservative dressing.
The emotions came back double. He was such an idiot. Why come in the first place? No one wants to hire a faggot. Or even a filthy cross-dresser who mumbled and couldn’t quite find the confidence outside of his alter-ego...

An alter-ego? Is that all she really is, Cambo?
Well, yeah. What else could she be, exactly?
Maybe… I don’t know, but I heard some, uh...
Cross-dressers. Call me what I am.
Right. Cross-dressers. I heard some of them, you know, change full time? Like… it’s more of a spiritual thing, yeah? Like they were born female, but trapped in a male body.
I… I couldn’t. What would Dad think? And Mum?
Besides, I’m not gay. I keep telling people. I’m straight. 100%.
Well, from what I gather… no offense… but your Dad’s an arsehole. And Christian, which isn’t really an excuse. And I know you’re not gay. <3
I don’t think... there’s anything wrong with being Christian, Able.
But Mormon, mate?

“I… uhh… e-everything’s fine…”
“Good. I’m Janet,” she begun. “I heard you want to work with us?”
“Well… yes. I’m inexperienced, but I’ll learn quickly. I’ll take any job you give me. Anything.”
“Well, we won’t make you go too low, eh?” Janet didn’t quite wink, but she laughed a shrill little cackle.
“Uh…” Cam tried to laugh, too. It didn’t quite work.
“Your résumé is fine, too. How about we start you as working behind the counter, in the café? Then we’ll see how you go on from there. You won’t have to cook, I promise.”
“Ah… thank you. Thank you very much. Thanks.”
Heh. No problem. I’ll give you a call sometime.”
Ahh… thanks… thanks again. Thank you.”
“No problem, darl.”

Uh… n? If I were to tell you something, could you, um…
Yeah? What’s going on, man? And call me Naith. No need for those bastard usernames between friends, hey?
Yeah... well… what if I said that for a long time, I’ve enjoyed dressing up … as a female?
I… Uhhh… go on.
Yeah, that’s pretty much it. I’m a cross-dresser… I just thought… well… I’d like my good friends to know. My online friends.
Yeah…
Um. I havn’t creeped you out, have I? I can answer any questions you may have …
Yeah. Jesus. Wow. Um. Well… no, I’m not creeped out. I just had no idea…
I mentioned once that I like futanari.
Hahahahahahah! That could be any old pervert saying that, though! ;)
: ( I’m not a pervert. I don’t think. But Dad…
Shit, man, sorry. I … didn’t mean offense. : )


He did it. Cameron finally got a job, and in a bowling alley! He was enraptured. He and that brunette would become friends! He’d meet many new friends, have new opportunities, and become more social, more confident. He couldn’t wait. With a bit of training, he wouldn’t even need Jess.
After all, he figured, she was just a tool, right? A shield, something to allow him to continue on in bad times…

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shame, humiliation, regret, and disgust.

Sounds like what I had on my weetbix this morning.

Very nice story...but rather lacking in atmosphere. It's too dialogue-focused and doesn't leave much for the imagination.
That's my two-cents worth of criticism - but knowing who the author is, I hope he won't get agitated my comments.

Criticism is a good thing after all.

N. F. Robinson said...

The weakness is definitely in the atmosphere, I agree. The focus on dialogue makes it seem a little bit more like a sermon than a story, but I guess that might be the point.

It's a pretty fine art, trying to make a good story with meaning.

I eagerly anticipate the next chapter, anyway. Reuben, when next we meet, I'm going to force you to tell me who wrote it :P

Jess said...

hahah ruben great comment about the weetbix! I think we've got the same box.... but mines got sweet fruit pieces in it! (hehe thanx rose :P)

Anonymous said...

hahah *ruben* great comment about the weetbix!

Thanks. Though nowadays, I tend to avoid weetbix, because my taste buds have become pedantic as of late.

The focus on dialogue makes it seem a little bit more like a sermon than a story, but I guess that might be the point.

Yes, but thankfully you kept your pious allusions to a minimal and, like artificial colourings in Safeway's Chocolate Cake, were masked by other tasty elements.

Reuben, when next we meet, I'm going to force you to tell me who wrote it.

Good luck. The last time I was forced to do anything was by an airhostess, armed with a rather kitsch toothbrush.

Jess, why is Kath called Rose? If you ask me she looks like more of an 'Edwina' with perhaps a bit of 'Perpegullian' thrown in for good measure (10cm at the last count).

Kath said...

rvb:
I like the dialogue focus, it would be a completely different story without the dialogue.

nat:
I like the atmosphere. Why do you two always pick on the literature I post here?

Jess:
Fruit bits in your weetbix sounds good! What am I being thanked for?

rvb:
I hate pet names! Jess is special and gets away with it. If you enjoy having the potential to have children I suggest you withdraw from any attempt to give me a pet name especially one as ugly as Edwina with a reference to some maths-y word that I do not understand!

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha! Perpeguillian isn't a maths name!

And in all honesty, you're too easily riled.

The dialogue focus is good, but there is no atmosphere or setting to which I can allow my imagination to wonder.

Jess said...

yeh reuben i'm special, so huh!

the fruit bits are figurative! That is all

Kath said...

well perhaps the atmosphere didnt matter so much to me because I connected with it, I felt what the character was feeling and everything the character felt was something I could remember. I suppose because I could relate, I didnt need a wondering imagination to appreciate the story

Kath said...

I hope that wasnt like queer humour? I am the worst queer! i always miss the jokes which are meant to be like inside queer jokes. fruity bits...yeah ohh hehe I get it....not realy

Anonymous said...

As in supermarket 'specials' :)?

Kath, don't worry about being naive. If it's any consolation to you, I know less about that business than you do.

Kath said...

you're not queer and you're not her girlfriend I'd bloody well hope you knew less than me!

Anonymous said...

Calm down and eat an orange.

Kath said...

I love oranges! :)

Anonymous said...

...says the vegemite-addict!

Ruby Bell said...

I love orange juice
But my idiot parent banned me from it >__<

Ruby Bell said...

I really enjoyed this story =] can't wait for the third bit. Although I keep reading Cameron as Callum >__<
Damn sirname and first initial

Anonymous said...

Orange juice, whilst delicious is fatty and bad for you. But that does not change the exiguous atmosphere in the story.